CROSS STREET VILLAGE




Click on photos for larger images



Old Ypsilanti High School was constructed in three phases in 1917, 1929, and the mid-1950's. Until 1972, it served as a community focus in its role as the prime building of the Ypsilanti Public School District. With the opening of a new high school in 1972, the Old High School entered a period of decline until 1995, when American Community Developers purchased the building through the school district. The developer proposed to convert the building into 104 subsidized apartments for the elderly.

EKA restored the exterior with the installation of new aluminum windows that replicate the appearance of the original wood windows, the installation of new oak doors at each of the three front entrances, and the repair of deteriorated masonry.

At the interior, EKA incorporated the best of the building's historic character. The corridors retain Pewabic tile fountains, oak display cabinets, and a few metal lockers. The residences feature high ceilings, tall windows, open floor plans, and built-in antique cabinets.

AWARDS:

Michigan Historic Preservation Network 2001 Building Award

HOME NEXT BACK